Enjoy This Post? Share the Love!
Every summer I start making plans to avoid being “Home Alone for the Holidays”. I’ve had some real adventures, going upriver on the Amazon and welcoming the New Year in Cambodia.
I think the best vacations for singles are river cruises because they allow for time alone in a private state room but with a ready-made group for meals and travel. Having finished the visa applications, booked all the hotels and airplane tickets and purchased my solo travel package, I now am able to sit back and enjoy reading about the Mekong Delta. I was surprised to see in the background packet some very unique aspects of the region as described by our tour operator’s background piece included below:
- “…(T)he Mekong is only river that changes direction twice a year.
- The Mekong is a major trading route linking China’s southwestern province of Yunnan to Laos, Burma (Myanmar) and Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia.
- Glowing spheres of light are observable from time to time rising from the water’s surface in certain parts of the river. These are sometimes referred to as “Naga fireballs” or “Mekong lights.” The locals attribute the phenomenon to Phaya Naga, or “Mekong Dragons.”
- The Mekong is the world’s 12th-longest river at 2,600 miles. It is the largest river in Southeast Asia.
- The river forms the border between Laos and Burma (Myanmar) and most of the border between Laos and Thailand.
- The earliest known civilization along the Mekong dates to the 1st century A.D. The first European to explore the river was Portugal’s Antonio de Faria, in 1540.
- The name Mekong derives from Mae Nam in the Thai language, meaning “Mother of Water.”
- In 2009, 145 new species were identified in the Mekong region, including 2 new bird species, 5 mammals, 96 plants, 6 new amphibians, and 29 fish species previously unknown to science.
- The Mekong has more large fish than any other river, including the Mekong giant catfish, which can weigh up to 660 lbs. and grows to be almost 10 feet.”
For more top solo travel deals for the holidays or year round, see our “River Cruises” offerings for one of the best vacations for singles whether you are looking for solo travel Asia or other traveling alone specials.