A Top Solo Travel Destination-Sri Lanka: During the first week in June, I discovered a new destination that has something for everyone. As the guest of NKAR Travel & Tours, one of the country’s top five providers, I had an authentic view of Sri Lanka from beaches to towering hills.
A Top Solo Travel Destination-Sri Lanka: Overview:
Sri Lanka’s small size makes it possible to have a good first introduction to the country in a week. For many of us in the US with limited vacation, the timing is just right. It is a very clean country even in rural areas and very safe. As one commentator quipped: If two bicycles were stolen in one day in Sri Lanka that would be deemed a major crime spree! As a woman solo traveler, I had no security concerns.
People were warm and friendly, and pricing was good. With the help of NKAR, I even found several hotels that had solo-priced rooms! That was the first time I had seen single room pricing outside of Europe where lodging commonly has discounts for one adult rather than a standard rack rate. (For more on 200+ European solo-priced hotels, go to our SoloTravelPricingTrackerTM..)
From North America, it is a long flight. The best route is to have a stopover in Qatar or Dubai. Qatar Air had some very good rates and even great airplane food! (How is that even possible?)
A Top Solo Travel Destination-Sri Lanka: A Perfect Trip for Everyone:
Sri Lanka affords five types of very different trips:
- Active, hiking and adventure: The highlight is Sigiriya Rock known as Lion Rock. The good news is that you don’t have to be a rock climber to get to the top. There are almost endless steps reaching up to the sky.
- Relaxation on beaches: The top choice is Galle. It is a real paradise with tall palms and pounding surf. When the ocean is too rough, the popular infinity pools are everywhere. Many come with a welcome swim-up bar.
- Yoga, wellness or spas: Spiritual retreats abound as do high-end spas in 4 and 5 star hotels.
- Cultural and historical journeys: The former Ceylon gained independence in 1948 the year after the partition of India. Colombo is its commercial capital while nearby Kotte is its administrative capital. Both have a special mix of colonial and modern architecture. Colombo currently has a grand project to rival the Palm Islands of Dubai with a huge commercial center being built on land reclaimed from the sea. High rises meet high style all along the coast. Highlights ranged from the Dambulla cave temple to the ancient city of Polonnaruwa and the Temple of the Tooth Relic in the last royal capital, Kandy. (Fashionistas will love the shopping and prices for both fine jewelry and clothing while there are also fun, economical gifts for a wide range of budgets.)
- Eco-tour and wild life viewing: Pinnawela Elephant Orphanage, Minneriya safari and Yala national park jeep safari. The area near Yala has 5 star “glamping”. My luxury tent was more like a private villa with my own terry cloth robe and chic amenities, not like camping at all.
A Top Solo Travel Destination-Sri Lanka: Getting Started:
Add Sri Lanka to your bucket list. You will be delighted. For three sample tours from NKAR, please go to Sri Lanka Safari, Wildlife and Ecotourism, Solo Travel Cultural Adventure Sri Lanka and Sri Lanka Adventure and Optional Maldives Extension. They can be tailored to your own travel style and budget.