George Washington Birthday Quiz, True or False
Enjoy This Post? Share the Love!
As Monday is Presidents’ Day here in Washington, DC, there have been random sightings of colonial dress as part of the celebration. In that spirit, we have created this George Washington Birthday Quiz, True or False. Tally up your score, and see how you do!
1. George Washington was born on Feb. 22, 1732.
True and False! When he was born, the date was February 11, 1732 under the Julian calendar then in effect in the Colonies. When the Gregorian calendar was later adopted, the birthdate became Feb.22. (The official celebration in the US has been changed to “Presidents’ Day, the 3rd Monday in Feb., in honor of both Washington and Abraham Lincoln.)
2. George Washington was not born in the USA.
Before you answer, warning: This is a trick question!
True: As the “Father of His Country”. he was born, of course, in the then colony of Virginia! (To be exact Pope’s Creek, Westmoreland County.) This was prior to the founding of the country as the United States of America.
3. Washington cut down the cherry tree as a 6 year old and when confronted by his father said “I cannot tell a lie”.
False: According to the official Mount Vernon website, this was merely a myth started after Washington’s death.
4. Washington carved his initials on Virginia’s Natural Bridge where they are still visible today.
Uncertain. Although the initials “GW” can be seen today, the Natural Bridge official website calls it a legend that it was George Washington who put them there.
5. Washington at 6’2″ was tall for his time.
6. George and Martha Washington had 4 children during their marriage.
False: Martha Washington was a widow when she married George Washington. From her first marriage, she had four children, two of whom died in infancy.
7. Washington was sworn in as President in Philadelphia, the first US capital.
False: In 1789, Washington was sworn in at the first capital, New York!
8. Washington was the first president to live in the White House.
False: It was John Adams.
9. Washington died in Washington, DC where he is buried.
False: Washington died and was buried at Mt. Vernon.
10. At the time of his death, Washington was in debt.
False: That was President Thomas Jefferson
Have more facts to add? Please email them to us at Contact Us!