Solo Travel-5 Ways to Save on Lodging: Bed and breakfasts can be an ideal way for solos to find low to moderate lodging. However, even in Europe where solo-priced/singles discounts are common, not all B&B’s offer such deals. Check out our picks for:UK, France, Italy, Spain, Austria and Malta.
Solo Travel-5 Ways to Save on Lodging:
Tip One: Location, location, location! Look for suburban properties on transportation routes.
Tip Two: Airports aren’t just for flying. I discovered in Paris that the hotels near Charles de Gaulle had really good prices with an easy commute to the subway into the heart of the city. Although they tended to be high rises not charming Old World “pensions”, they had a broad range of modern conveniences.
Solo Travel-5 Ways to Save on Lodging: Timing and Weather:
3. Take your “summer” vacation in September. Grab rates that begin as early as Sept. 9 in the French Riviera. Local 5-star hotels feature up to 50% discounts prior to their closings.
4. Take advantage of unpopular weather when low demand drives prices down. I have toured India during the monsoons, Africa in 120 degree weather, the Caribbean in the midst of water shortage. Try skiing in Slovenia not Switzerland; beach combing in Belize not St. Bart’s and viewing ancient ruins in the Greek Isle of Korfu not Santorini.
Solo Travel-5 Ways to Save on Lodging: Looking Online:
5. Search for lodging for “1 adult” not “1 room”. In Europe, many properties are reduced for one traveler. However, I have also found such deals in Sri Lanka!
For over 1,400+ solo-priced deals, see our Solo Travel Pricing Tracker:
1. No Single Supplements
2. Lower or reduced single supplements
3. Sharing to avoid single supplements, primarily in Europe
4. Solo priced rooms in hotels and other lodging
5. Single parent pricing. Alternatively, many large chain hotels offer “family” rooms as well. For more options, click this link for easy searches in 7 major regions using our SoloTravel PricingTracker.